12 April 2017

Dayre has stolen my life away from this space but I am enjoying having that little platform where people cannot find me easily. I am listening to music with my new earphones and it is the BEST. Everything sounds so high quality and they were only £6.50.

For what seems like the first time in my life I have this urge to write - and not thought catalog-esque writing, but proper proper writing (obv not gonna make it with my limited vocab but yes). I want to document my life in little stories and capture every detail of the things I love here. I want to write a whole book about fat pigeons and kinky donuts and the afternoons I spent at the Starbucks on Coney Street, complete with low quality pictures of my green tea latte. If I'm courageous enough maybe I'll talk about this with my very writey friends, and we'll make a book documenting what it's like to be a Singaporean studying overseas - all the good and the bad. We will be uncreative and title it '+65/+44', just like in our Instagram profiles. I am very tempted to take up a creative writing online course, yet I feel I don't need it; I want to use words like 'writey' in my writing without feeling like it's wrong. I'll rope in friends and friends' friends and friends' friends' friends from all over UK, we'll put our primary school writing skills to use and make a book we can show our grandkids!!! I think me being a science major it'll be a little less intimidating for me to approach people for their stories. I already have so many people in mind!!!

More than the typical testimony I want stories of our struggles and all the intimate details - of LDRs and failed LDRs, of racism, of loneliness, of the pets we've left back home. Essays of the days we want nothing more than to just, go, home. I want whole paragraphs describing what it's like to finally step into Changi Airport after 9 months away, and then having to deal with the very sobering fact that life back home goes on even without us.

We'll have chapters on the subjects we love - jargon and all. We don't need everyone to understand because we'll be writing for us, and for those that come after us. I want a book that comforts, one that lets our juniors and sons and daughters know we all have those nights, one that makes sure they also know that there are better days, and better yet, the best days.

Now that I've said all of this I hope something actually comes out of it... it'll probably take months, maybe years, but I hope I actually do something. Please let me stay inspired.

1 comment:

  1. grace idk if you'll see this but i stalk your blog like u stalk people's social media heheh and please make ur book happen!!! u r a gr99 storyteller

    ReplyDelete